Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

I have touted and recommended Riordan's Percy Jackson series since I first read it five years ago. I think it is a great series and gives kids a good introduction to the basics of Greek mythology. I read it to my sixth graders, and I had kids who didn't read at all start to read more myths and other series that were similar.

Now that Percy Jackson is finished, Riordan has started two new series. One is the Kane Chronicles and The Red Pyramid is the first in that. Instead of looking at Greek myths, he's moved onto looking at Egyptian mythology, which I think is even more fantastic because this is often overlooked in our education systems. Again, it presents the basics to kids in a non-threatening, action packed method.

The book is told through a "recording" by Carter and Sadie Kane, a brother and sister duo who get swept up into an adventure where Egyptian gods are released into the modern world. They ultimately have to save the world from the god Set, who has a plan to send the world into chaos. As the story unfolds, Carter and Sadie slowly discover their family's history and how important they are in Egyptian history as well as to the safety of the world.

I wouldn't say this is as good as the Percy Jackson series, but it did keep my interest on a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's a quick read, fast paced and interesting. I'd say it's a definite for kids, and their parents might just enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment