Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sounds familiar ...

Well, we have hit the time of year where I'll be bombarding this blog with YA literature. As part of our school day, we have 20 minutes of reading time built in where we HAVE to read. I do not complain about this, and this semester I've got a group of kids who stay quiet so I'm not interrupted. I also started teaching a new strategic reading class that has several books in it for reluctant readers. So I can talk to the kids about the books, I need to read them, which has made my selections for this SSR time really easy :)

The first book I picked up for this was Armageddon Summer by Jane Yolen and Bruce Coville. It's a dual narrative from a teenage girl (Marissa) and teenage boy (Jed) (I'm guessing each author took one of the characters). Each of their parents has gone through divorce or a separation and have become involved with an armageddon cult (the book takes place in 2000, so it's similar to all of the Y2K - and has tones of 2012 in it as well). Marissa is a Believer, but Jed isn't. It follows them through the process and questioning of the Believers.

It was an easy read (started it Thursday and finished it Friday), and like I said, has tones of 2012, so it's somewhat timely.

No comments:

Post a Comment