Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Time for a Classic

I've tried many times to read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, but it's not an easy read. The vernacular, while very accurate, makes it a little difficult to understand. I found myself rereading passages several times trying to figure out what some of the words were supposed to be. ("Kivver" was a particularly difficult one - it's cover, by the way.).

The novel follows Janie Crawford who is on a personal journey for independence, love, and self in the 1930s. As a black female, that was unheard of for that time, which is why this novel is important. However, it's not one of my favorites.

This book is more of a character study, which is typically not my cup of tea. This was no different. I know and understand why it was very groundbreaking and needs to be in the "Greats" canon. But, it just isn't for me.

Despite me not liking it, I still think it is something that needs to be read by everyone. It does a good job of showing what life was really like (which makes sense considering Hurston was also an anthropologist) and really is groundbreaking. It's just not one that I'll put on my have to reread list.

No comments:

Post a Comment